Monday, November 21, 2005

What To Brag About First

I began my new job today and decided I shall stay…sorry G. The benefits of staying are too good.


- well, of course, there is the higher rate of pay. Who wouldn’t stay for $23,000/yr more…
- and then they mentioned that all time over 150 hours per month is given at time and a half…at my new rate of pay, definitely SWEET and MY CHOICE of whether or not to bank time or request payout
- FOUR weeks of vacation per year
- Sick time accumulated at 2 ½ days per month
- 30 DAYS of special leave – to use for doc appointments, funerals, sick children, whatever
- 1 week of WEDDING LEAVE (have you ever heard of such a thing?)
- FLEX DAYS – if I work late on standby the day before I am free to come in late and work late…or I can work my own modified shifts to give myself time off later in the week
- My own cell phone. Mine. No fighting. It’s mine. To carry forever. And it’s one of those cool flip phones with all the bells and whistles
- Company cars. I NEVER have to use my own car. I simply book a car to take out on the road with me. Granted, they are FORD, but hell, let’s not dicker
- A dedicated INTAKE car. So no fighting over agency cars when you are covering intake phones. It’s yours for that day. Period
- A dedicated on-call car. It’s yours for the on-call period. Which by the way is just 4 days long. You simply leave your car at home and take that for the week.
- The photocopier is on the SAME floor, as well as everything else I need.
- No archaic network to fight with. All notes can be handwritten or typed and are simply filed away with the dedicated file clerk (aka file nazi I am told).
- We are moving to our own suite next Monday where everyone has their own office AND we are taking a secretary with us who will be dedicated to Intake only


All in all, a nice day at the office. My unit seems to be a very nice group of people…still two left to meet who were out sick today. My supervisor has a wacky sense of humour, loving it. They are all outsiders too who have come from afar…the farthest being Switzerland. We are going to a local impromtu theatre play on Thursday, so that should be fun. I also met some of the other workers, several of whom are from the east coast, which is cool. We even knew many of the same people…small world they say.

So yeah, I think I will stay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How goes the hunt for a place to live?
Kathleen

Dreama said...

well, today it begins in earnest...my car is being delivered to me at work today and then I can go out and see some places. I have a few leads and will be checking them out at lunchtime today if possible. I CANNOT wait to get out of here. And now that my stuff has arrived, all the more motivation to get my own place and get settled...will keep y'all posted!