Slip Slidin' Away (and down)
Well, as predicted, the city's failure to clear the slush and snow has now turned into an ugly ice problem. We also had freezing rain last night, to compound the issue. Of course, I fell on my ass. I would have expected nothing less. Even scraped my knee. And then I couldn't get up because it was too slippery. So, after much cursing, and scrabbling around, I managed to claw my way back up to standing position with the assistance of the nearest parking meter. Nice.
My trek downtown was eventful. I went off in search of the Midnight Sun Coffee Roaster (cafe) and came across Aroma Borealis which I recognized from a tin my friend M. had given me a gift in. Nice little herb shop, expensive though. And I asked her if she could direct me to the Midnight Sun...oh, it's too bad what happened to them says she...what? It burned down just last week. WTF? Apparently the fire started in the furniture store next to it, in the basement and the two places went up in smoke. Because the Midnight Sun was so old, the timber was very dry and it went up fast.
So that was too bad. Not to worry though, Zola's Cafe Dore sells the stuff, and I stopped by there on the way back from the burn zone. I don't know that it had the same atmosphere though, as my impression of Zola's was that it closely resembled Starbucks, sadly. I had a fruit smoothie (still running hot) and people watched for a while.
Across from the burn zone was The Northern Hempisphere which my friend M. had also directed me to visit. Although they changed location since her last visit here.

The hot sales guy still works there and was very nice, FYI, M. The store is quite big, and they have lots of nice hemp products. When I actually begin to see money from this job, I will have to visit again and buy myself a sweatshirt...maybe more.
So after Zola's I headed back to the hotel, only to find my room door open...EGADS! WTF? But it turns out there was a nice young asian man cleaning my room. Phew. Thought someone broke in and my first thought was for my laptop, and then for the cats getting out (sorry kitties). However, he was petting Stormy when I walked in and then continued about his business.
So, now that I hurt all over from my icy jar, I think I'll settle in for the afternoon. Only a couple of hours left of sunlight, and it's too damn slippery to get around. Comments please!
4 comments:
Wanted to let your know that I'm enjoying your blog. I don't comment much but do read all the time.
Take care & Good Luck.
great to know someone is reading! Next time give me a clue as to who you are...I have an idea though...
So i found out today that the Midnight Sun roaster burnt (where the original shop was) but that the coffee shop on Main is open still. Hope you're enjoying yourself.... I love the eagle mural. Is there a crow one? I have an affinity for the raven ;)
~m
Yes M, that's what I was tellin ya. I was in Zola's Cafe and it wasn't too bad, but resembled Starbucks more than a cozy cafe. I will continue snapping pics of the murals here and if I see a crow one, it's all yours baby...
Post a Comment