Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Cracks and Dishes

Well, the crack issue is that I failed to have a large chip repaired on my windshield and when it showed up here in the Yukon, there was a small crack from the chip(located near the bottom of the driver's side) to the very bottom of the window. Ok, phew, hope that is all that happens. Well, apparently not. The next time I turned on the heat, I heard another CRRRAAAAACKKKKK and it began snaking its way across the windshield, low to the bottom thankfully. Got about half way and it stopped. Then each day I drive the car, it crawls an inch or two. It seems to be heading south, so hopefully it keeps that up and doesn't go north and interfere with my view. Turns out Yukon auto insurance doesn't cover windshields anyhow due to the dirt and sand they spread for ice. Nearly everyone has at least one crack in the windshied. Ok...fine. I am prepared for more cracks...in my windshield that is.


I wanted to get a Bell ExpressVu dish for the cabin, although there was already a Star Choice one installed, just no receiver. Personal preference only, and so I called a local dealer. Left him a message two days ago and no one returned the call. Piss off, I'll go somewhere else. I go to Source, which is formerly Radio Shack idiots and inquired about ExpressVu...um, sorry ma'am (do I really look like a ma'am???) we are out of stock and we have absolutely no idea of when we will have any units even though we are advertising them in our weekly flyer. It got a little ugly and then I relented and purchased a Star Choice receiver - you do have them, don't you??? Well, only the higher priced ones. Dammit. So I get the higher priced one and prepubescent male assures me there is no hassle involved, just give them a call to activate your receiver. Great. If they give me a hassle, I am coming back with this crappy receiver, prepubescent male.


Return home last night, warm up the receiver (it is about -18C at this point) and then hook it all up, call Star Choice and get yet another idiot. Sigh. Sorry ma'am (WTF is with the ma'am?), we cannot set up service there as you need to have a physical address that is recognized by Canada Post. Um, idiot woman, there is a dish already mounted and there has been service there for years. I don't have a street name, which is why my mail comes to a postal box up the road. Well ma'am, call the city to find out what the street name is. Um, idiot woman, I don't live in the city, there is no street name, and I am telling you what the physical address is as listed on my lease.


Well, could it be called something else? How about we take out the "lot" part and the subdivision part and go with a road instead. Well now, it appears that there is currently service in use there, and someone is paying the bill by direct deposit. Um, no, there is no one here, and I moved into an empty house. Well ma'am, I can't help you. WTF??? I just bought a receiver, I want to activate it. Ma'am, we can't do that until the previous tenants call in and disconnect. WTF? That could take forever considering they haven't picked up their mail since July. Sorry ma'am. Ok, I want to talk to your supervisor. Just a minute ma'am. Oh, sorry ma'am, she has gone home for the day. Would you like her to call you back. No, fuck off.


Alright, I called the landlady and between us we came up with a solution. She is actually the one who took the receiver out of the house I am in, and is currently subscribed, there is a physical address, why don't we just add another receiver to the account and split the bill. Fine with me, let's have at 'er.


And so I did. Feck youse all, Star Choice. Play hardball, I play harder. I was watching television in minutes after calling them back. And we have more channels for less.

1 comment:

Dreama said...

well, for a cabin in the woods that I craved so much, I do want some luxuries, and my tech stuff is close to the top...net, dish, phone. Topping the list is running water (hot AND cold). so I am finally all wired for lights and sounds...loving it!