Monday, November 28, 2005

Frost Bites

Yup, it's cold here. About -18C. Now THAT'S more like it. None of this pussyfooting around with rain and mild weather. I thought I left that behind.


I'm all moved into my new place, and nearly all unpacked. The place is JUST THE RIGHT SIZE I am finding. Anything more and I would't fit. I do have a few things in a storage locker for now, but expect to get it out later this week if I decide to sell my washer and dryer. I still have to put up most of my pictures, and go through my Christmas boxes to see if I'm going to put anything up yet.


Sleeping in my bed was WONDERFUL. I took a bath Saturday night and crawled in to watch a movie on my laptop and I don't think my head hit the pillow before I crashed. The house sounds are going to take some getting used to, but I have most of them figured out. The old fridge is a little noisy, but doesn't cut in too often.


The felines have taken to the house quite well. Via, the daredevil, leapt from the second floor loft to the top of the tv stand...don't think she will try that twice as we shared the same terrified glance...Stormy loves traipsing up and down the stairs and peeking out through the rungs into the kitchen when I am there. I'll be interested to see what they choose as their favorite spots in this house full of windows. I have provided a few opportunites to sleep next to a window for them.


The storage room came in super handy and is plugged to the hilt...luckily there was already a storage tower in the bathroom exactly like mine, so I could use mine in the storage room for papers and things. I managed to break the wood stove the first time I tried to use it. I pulled out the damper when I should have turned...so it fell off the handle down into the stovepipe. Great. I lit a fire anyhow, and it did burn, but I think I need to fess up to my landlady about it so I don't burn the shack down.


It's a good thing I bought a love seat and not a sofa as there is no room for one in the place, and the love seat fits just right. I don't have satellite yet, but not to worry...tons of movies to go through and keep me company. There is hookup for Star Choice, but no receiver, and Star Choice sucks, so I will just buy the whole Expressvu package on payday I reckon.


Still no phone service, but they are on it today, and hopefully when I get home, it will be on. I am waiting for the modem too, and hope it arrives this week. THEN I shall be reconnected with the outside world.


Turns out I do have some neighbors. None that I can see from my house, but when I drove along my road in the dark, I could see some lights here and there. That's comforting. I have my privacy but I am not in total isolation if something goes wrong. Good to know.


Well, caseload is increasing, hooked me a very interesting case this morning. I often wonder if clients purposely act the way they do simply to entertain the worker...crazy. So now it's back to work, got lots to keep me busy. Photos of the settled in look to follow later this week once I get the photos on the walls.

No comments: