Hanging Out At The Liquor Store
Well, part of the day was spent there. I went on the bus today to Wal-Mart. I had called the Bus Admin to see when the next one came by the hotel and missy on the other end said I had likely just missed it as it was 8:50am and the bus came at 8:57am...WTF? So I told her 7 minutes was more than enough time to walk outside dumbass. I got dressed and went out and waited for about 10 minutes and the bus actually came more like 9:05am. Anyhow, off to Wal-Mart I went. It's a nice enough Wal-Mart, and I found most everything I needed. I put a film in for 1 hour processing and promptly forgot it there.
Opted for a Yellow Cab to get back to the hotel since I couldn't carry everything - big bag of kitty litter, gallon of water, bag of cat food, etc. I had to buy a few things for the ill-equipped room as well. I had borrowed a strainer from the kitchen last night, so bought one today (actually a colander). I wasn't sure where the dollar store was, so paid a little more for it at Wal-Mart.
Got the stuff unpacked and went to work setting up the new cat litter...and oh, was I in for a surprise. The cat litter I overpaid for a few days ago had turned to a congealed mess in the bottom of the tray. Apparently instead of clumping, it was more like GLUE and I had a bitch of a time getting it cleaned out, particularly in a hotel room with nothing to chisel with...
anyhow...went for a walk later to the Territorial building to file my travel claim and chat with the gal about my move. She told me it's been snowing all month, most they have had in a while. Um. There is about 3 inches on the ground, if that. Yeah, I'm gonna like the north. Average annual accumulation is barely a foot...including rain. I'll take the cold, hold the snow.
Walked down to the local grocer and liquor store and decided I had too much to lug on the bus yet again and called a cab. While waiting outside the liquor store, admiring Grey Mountain, I was also people watching...about 70% of the liquor store patrons were native which could mean one of two things...either they drink more than others, or simply make up more of the population. After checking the Yukon fact book and seeing that the latter is not true, it appears to be that they drink more...or maybe it was the time of day they like to go, who knows. One guy was pushed in backwards in his rolling chair/walker and exited shortly after with a case of beer. Saw some less than classy behaviour while waiting as well...like the guy who blew his nose onto the ground...nice.
Got back to the hotel and discovered that housekeeping had been in, sweet! They vacuumed up the cat litter mess, and the cat food I spilled. They also jacked up the heat, which did not go over well with me. I have been roasting since my arrival and have the heat turned off and the window open. It was a damn inferno when I opened the door, so called the front desk and gave them a message for housekeeping...leave the heat ALONE.
Ok, time to relax and enjoy my first Friday night here. It's dark now.
No comments:
Post a Comment