Saturday, December 23, 2006

Let The Judging Begin



I have been asked to be one of the judges for the House Christmas Decorating Contest tonight. We are to begin at 5pm and I am excited! I was at the store last night and one of the gals I chat with regularly there mentioned that they were still looking for judges, so I offered myself up and they accepted. I know they have had issues with nepotism here, as they often do in small communities, so they are happy when someone from away participates in this way. I can be pretty impartial, considering I don't know many people, and am not related to anyone! The neighbors have been busy and I think the competition is fierce this year. My next door neighbor has been at it all day today, and he had a bunch up already. I think he was working on designing a tree out of wire and lights when I last looked out. The guy on the corner has several different areas decorated, with The Peanuts gang, a Nativity scene, Santa in several places, and a projector casting a Christmas greeting on his shed!



I am excited about the process. I have heard that one of the other judges is an RCMP, so that will be interesting. I wonder if there is set criteria for judging. We're to travel around town in a van, and they said that last year they didn't get out of the van, but I want to get out and experience the lights, and hear the music, which I don't think can be properly done from a van...we shall see!



The fella down the street was so proud of his work and told me that he created everything himself. Meanwhile his buddy helping him was standing right there, lol. I don't know what the prize is, but it must be good!






ps. the photo is not from here...just in case you were wondering...

2 comments:

Big Hoser said...

I was just commenting to my wife that we're one of 5 houses on our street (out of 40 or so) that actually has any semblance of Christmas lights outside. We don't go out of our way or anything (line the garage doors and main window with lights), but the lack of lights is surprising!

Glad to hear there's still places that see the importance behind showing their spirit in this manner!

~HH.

Oh, and if I don't talk to you in the next 24 hours: Merry Christmas, ya northern Brat!! ;)

Dreama said...

Well, it would have been nice if they had come and picked me up for the judging...I never saw anyone all night, so it must have gone on without me...hmmm...