Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Day One In Fort Res





I began to feel a cold coming on yesterday about noon. It is here full force today. Ick. I likely caught it from my friend J. who was down with a cold all weekend. Thankfully I brought several boxes of tissues with me, because I shall need them.



The sun rose to a beautiful clear sky and was amazing. I can see the sunrise from my room, and it shines right on the television. The air is crisp, and –19C. I went to the Band Council building where my office is located about 8:20am. No sign of anyone, so I drove around town for a bit, checking things out in approaching daylight. I went back to the Band office several times, but did not see anyone until about 9am. I went in and spoke to someone from the Band council and located the community coordinator’s office, but it was locked and there was no sign of her. I couldn’t begin work until she arrived as she had the keys to our offices. She was to return last night and be at work this morning, having been in Yellowknife for a few days, but I guessed that she didn’t make it in last night. I hung around until about 9:30am, then decided to go to the nurse’s station to see if they had any idea where this gal was. It appears that she won’t be in until tonight, and was to have told me to pick up my key from them last night. Um, no. Other than communication about my flight change, there was no mention of the motel, its location, where to pick up the key, etc. I checked all emails and there was nothing there about the accommodation. That would have been nice to know ahead of time, however I managed to find my way into my motel room last night in spite of the miscommunication. The nurses then informed me that the gal won’t be returning until tonight and left word for me to just hang out for the day. I can do that. I feel like crap with this cold, so am quite content to hang out in the motel room today with the felines. What really matters of course is that it is warm, dry, and has running water and electricity in the room. I even have my own outlet for plugging in my car. I shall survive easily here.



I did take another spin around town and located the post office. The wicket is at the North Mart, so just down the street from me. No mail, but I did manage to get a post office box for when I do get mail. It arrives on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Mail goes out on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday (I think that’s what she said anyhow). Somehow this sounds vaguely familiar…flashback to Grand Bruit and it’s 3 mail days a week. Works for me, no big deal. Most of my correspondence is via the net anyhow. Now if I could just find the CAP site. I am too sick to drag my sorry ass into the school, and don’t want to infect any of the kids anyhow. I imagine that is probably where it is.



I stopped by the RCMP detachment, but it looks rather deserted today, fresh snow on the steps has not yet been shovelled from yesterday, so perhaps they are out of town, who knows. I’ll get there sooner or later.



Now it is time for some rest and relaxation – and coughing, hacking, nose wiping, etc…Did I mention that I have no control over the heat in my room? I slept with the window open last night. Anyone who knows me, knows how I can’t take the heat. I am not sure how the furnace is controlled, but I searched the room and I can’t find a damn thing, save for two floor registers and a cold air duct that I can hear my neighbor in the next room shower through. Interesting.

No comments: