Going To Town Day
Yesterday was payday for GNWT employees, so of course, today was shopping day and many head to Hay River to shop. The highway is 155kms from here to there, and there is nothing inbetween. No stores, gas stations, bait shops, junkyard or anything. Two rest stops (a single outhouse at each) and that was IT. So no big deal, what's an hour and a half. Turned out that the drive wasn't too bad, but not very scenic as the landscape doesn't change much, and little elevation. 
Hay River was bustling and I bumped into some locals from Fort Res who came over and said hello, introducing their family members. That was nice. I was buying a Christmas tree at True Value Hardware...yes, BUYING a tree...I usually either cut one or buy fresh cut somewhere, but this year, when I got to North Mart, they had just 4-5 left, and they looked pretty picked over, and totally not worth the $45.99 they were asking for each. Small, scrawny, and not very green. So I bought a 3.5 foot artificial tree, and put it on my end table. The cats were duly entertained, and Via has sprawled underneath it already. Santa has even been by...bumped into him in Hay River...
The prices in Hay River nearly made me choke though...yikes...there goes my northern allowance for sure...paying the difference. Many of my friends and family have been asking how much things are up here, as am I, and so here are a few typical prices for Hay River and Fort Resolution...and compare to what you pay:
- red glace cherries, 500 ml. $11.99
- Ocean Spray white grape juice, $6.19
- canned mushrooms $1.49
- large jar of miracle whip $8.99
- Palmolive, large bottle (normally about $2 at Walmart) $6.79!!!
- large bag of Lays potato chips 270g $4.95 at the corner store here and $3.99 in Hay River
- onions, 3 lb bag $2.99
- 4 litre jug of milk $5.19 ($7.19 here in town)
- one small container Philedelphia cream cheese spread $4.95
- one bag of frozen corn, Green Giant $4.25
- 4 litre jug of water $2.99
- one jug of windsheild washer fluid $6.00 here in town
- 6-pack of Coor's Light $12.95 plus deposits - 15-pack box was $30.25...I won't be drinking much anyway...just on my birthday in 3 days! 40 has really snuck up on me...
So I spent a lot of money today, but am fully stocked for the next few weeks or more. I'm glad I brought lots with me from Whitehorse too, as prices are quite high, even more so than in Yellowknife. I was able to get most of what I went for, although I skipped several things because I just couldn't pay that much for it...will wail until I am in Edmonton to buy some things...hope to go in February or March for a few days.
Now the tree is decorated, and I am settled in on the sofa watching "The Sound of Music" on satellite...now there's a classic Christmas time movie...
2 comments:
Ewww!!!! Blarrghgh!! Sound of Music! :p
You're going to have to do what other NWT [non]residents do... find a reason to come down to the Lower Mainlnad and stock up, babe!!
Seriously, I'll talk to my cuz and see what they did when they lived in Tuktoyuktuk and would spend $1000.00 at Costco and have it sent north. This was for a family of 4 after all.
~HH.
I happen to like the movie...hmph...I do plan on doing a drive south in February to Edmonton...will certainly be stocking up then, as I did when I left Whitehorse, and now I also know what items are super expensive up here, so will be sure to get those things.
Post a Comment