Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Yellowknife Cuisine

During my 16 days in Yellowknife, I've had the opportunity to dine in many of the finer restaurants, and was treated by my gracious hostess, K. at several of them. Many thanks K. for the generosity!!! You can be sure I will treat you when you get to Fort Res to visit - buffalo steaks on the house ;->


Here is a list of the places I dined:

  • The Red Apple - good food, kind of shabby appearance though. Had breakfast there one day, and went back on another for Chinese lunch buffet. Not much to choose from, but what I had was tasty enough.
  • Coyote's Bar and Grill - nice atmosphere, very good service (even if the waiter kept referring to Kelli as "the virgin" because she ordered a virgin drink...) The food was fabulous, and we went for supper one night and the virgin was treated to a baked alaska which we all shared (divine!) by the waiter because her birthday was a few weeks ago. We also went back for brunch on Sunday which was DIVINE! Tons of food choices, spectacular desserts, and a chocolate fountain! They also offered custom omlettes.
  • Le Frolic - cozy atmosphere, good service, but looks more like an English/Irish pub than a french dining room. Food was AWESOME and I ate there a couple of times with K. and we truly pigged out last night, making for a windy night, blowing in both directions...heh heh.
  • Diamante Restaurant - Nice enough atmosphere, but was quite chilly, and for me to say that, you know the others froze their asses. The pasta was not great, watery alfredo sauce, not enough pasta with the meal, and not altogether tasty. Dessert was overrated and I found the whole meal to be overpriced for the quality.
  • The Office Dining Room - Nice atmosphere, but with strange chairs - upholstered swivel chairs that you might recall from the 70's. Food was delicious, but they were a little cheap on the bread - one roll each, so I had to order more. K. and I love bread!
  • The Black Knight Restaurant and Pub - nice cozy pub atomosphere, great food, huge portions, but service was a little slow sometimes and we were nearly forced to gnaw on the table legs with our drinks while waiting for the appetizer. We also had to wait outside one night to get in due to fire restrictions for numbers allowed in.
  • Boston Pizza - the usual, good food, mediocre services, but low prices compared to all of the above restaurants.

Then there was the usual fare of take out crap, and it was just that - CRAP. Dominoes Pizza was gross, A & W was cold food, if it was open at all - they were out of stock most of the time due to lack of inventory arriving on the trucks (ferry issues); and KFC was the usuall laxative fare...

So there you have it...now I shall return to Whitehorse to prepare for the drive to Fort Resolution, where I shall be devoid of fine dining experiences for some time. There are no restaurants of any sort in town, and the closest would be in Hay River, about an hour and a half away. I guess I shall have to return to cooking again...

No comments: