Da News
Ok, here is the latest...going to Fort Res before training proved to be too much of a hassle, with flying into Edmonton one night, to Hay River the next day, and all that effing around, so now I will fly to Yellowknife for two weeks training and if an opportunity presents itself on either weekend I'm in Yellowknife, they will fly me over to take a look at the community and to find somewhere to live. Then I will fly back to Whitehorse after training and begin the drive up.
One question - why is it so difficult to fly from Whitehorse to Yellowknife? You would think there would be a direct flight, but apparently not. THAT would be too simple. Instead I have to route down through either Edmonton or Calgary. What a waste of time, money, and fuel. These airlines have us by the balls alright...they could take a lesson from Europe where you can fly just about anywhere anytime, cheap.
So the change in plans means this:
- more time to clean my house, which is always good. I don't have to rush or panic about getting it all done. The movers come on Thurs/Fri so I'll have all weekend.
- I'll have all weekend in my nearly empty house. It will just be me and the kitties...and my luggage. I'm packing a rubbermaid container full of essentials for the weekend, and for my first week in Fort Res, as I know the movers will not make it to where I need them to be on time
- I have the movers coming with no destination sorted out yet. Can't seem to get a hold of that fella who has the log cabin possibly for rent there...though I did connect last week with him.
- I'll have a full day in Yellowknife before training begins - whatever shall I do???
I simply have to keep in mind that this time next month, I should hopefully be all settled, unpacked, and snuggled in for the winter.
2 comments:
Whitehorse and Yellowknife both have populations around 20,000 people, don't they? The only potentially direct flights would be a very small-time operation and probably charge a great deal of money to fly between them.
Edmonton's population is over 1 million, so it makes more sense for it to be a centralized flight destination.
I'm just sayin'... ;)
What to do in Yellowknife on a day off? I'd say "take pictures," but you'd most likely freeze your ass off. So, find a warm cafe. Sit, read, and take in the local.... scene.
I've never been to Yellowknife, but my cousin was a police officer in Tuktoyaktuk a few years back.
I'm glad things are working out... for the most part.
~HH.
Whitehorse has about 28,000 while Yellowknife has about 20,000. Tuk is a tiny remote roadless place on the north coast of NWT.
There is an airline that flys direct into Yellowknife from Whitehorse so I discovered today, and it is a small operation, called First Air. They charge nearly $500 each way, and fly via Fort Simpson (a stop there). So I'm hoping that's how I get to fly, short hops and avoid Edmonton altogether.
Post a Comment