Thursday, November 09, 2006

Thank-you and Goodnight: is it over yet?

As you know, this was my last day at my current job, and I'm heading to another territory to work next week. It wasn't particularly busy for me as things had pretty much been wrapped up, but the highlight came towards the end of the workday when I was able to cradle a newborn today for nearly an hour while the foster parent met with another social worker. It was a true reminder of why we do the work we do. He was the first baby I'd held that was born with drugs in his system. He slept most of the time, I reckon I wasn't entertainment enough for his tired little body. And my uterus didn't twinge once. I'm definitely over having more children, but isn't it nice when you get to snuggle someone else's once in a while, regardless of circumstance. Babies just like being held and I am only too glad to do it for anyone! And then hand them back when they begin to puke and/or poop, lol.


My co-workers set up a potluck supper for me tonight, so that was nice. Thanks again guys! Lots to eat, kids everywhere, with one of them showing off his new crawl until I squealed and startled him. Must be the (lastname) in me, ha ha. They also gave me a gift certificate for a local First Nations gift shop that I had been planning to visit before leaving next week. I actually tried to go today at lunch time but my friend L. wasn't interested in going, and wanted to go for lunch instead so she and I and my daughter went out. I didn't give it a second thought...then I got the gift certificate and she told me that that's why she discouraged me from going, was because they had bought me this gift certificate. What a hoot! So we all got a chuckle out of that.


I've been puttering around all night since getting home, preparing for the movers who are to show up tomorrow morning, at 8:30am. I'm not ready but whatever...they will have to take it as they get it. I'm too exhausted to do more tonight. I'll just have them pack in other places while I finish up tomorrow morning. There isn's much, mostly bringing things in/cleaning things up. I have some dishes to wash up, and stuff outside with snow all over it (kayak, patio table and chairs, bbq, bicycle...the usual. I don't know if they will clean it off before they pack it or what, as I don't want them packing wet stuff, but I don't have room for it here in the cabin either. I'm hoping that they will bring the truck with them tomorrow and load as they go along as it will get crowded in her real quick. I am also hoping that the temperature will rise some so it's not as freezing out with them opening and closing the door so much. It's funny, I moved last year from the east coast, only about a week and a half earlier in the year and it was warm enough that we had all the doors open (cats were penned into a bedroom) as they were in and out with stuff.


Did I mention that I dropped my damn fishtank in the tub and cracked it? Yeah, was plenty happy about that. So I gave the whole mess to my daughter who wanted it anyhow. I just can't be bothered with it anymore!!! Up until I had cracked the tank I was sitting on the fence about maintaining the tank again when I moved but I just don't have the energy to frig around with it all anymore. The cats are enough to contend with sometimes...


I will be glad to get settled in before Christmas. I'm staying put then until I am ready to head out on my world trip. Leaving friends behind is hard enough but dammit I have lived half in and out of cardboard boxes for half of my life, for one reason or another. I grew up moving from one base to the other, and then as and adult, I moved for education and career. I eventually hope to settle for a more lengthy period sometime in the not too distant future, possibly abroad.


So that ends tonight's broadcast. Tune in tomorrow for the movers report - can they manage to pack it all as requested or will they end up packing everything from my pile I've set aside to stay?

2 comments:

Big Hoser said...

Yay! Glad it's over for ya!

I guess you'll be offline soon for a little bit (not sure if/how you'll manage the internet in Yellowknife... you will, I know, but I can't think straight at the moment). :)

~HH.

Dreama said...

I don't expect I'll be offline at all. I have my service here until I fly out on Monday and the hotel I'm staying in has free wireless, so I'm all set. I am SO GLAD I bought a laptop, it has come in handy with all this travel!