Hotel Life
Of course, there is much to be said for hotel life. I've been spent a lot of time in hotels over the years since university, usually related to my work and training for my job. There are many positives such as:
- someone to make your bed in the morning (I always wanted a housekeeper!)
- fresh towels every day if you choose (you can take the green option and reuse your towels)
- they vacuum your floor
- clean glasses and no one got hurt
- free internet these days, and in this hotel - wireless!
- fluffy pillows
- a clean bathroom (worth its weight in gold)
- location, location, location...I am next door to Wal-mart and Tim Hortons...who could ask for anything more?
- fresh soap every day if I choose to throw it out each day
- travel sizes of everything, and in this particular hotel, chapstick!!!
- free cable (though not that great at this hotel - no guide, some channels don't come in clear enough to watch)
And then there are the negatives...of course...some are completely my fault of course...
- they can be noisy, particularly when you get a room downtown near the bars - when they clear out, the drunks roam the streets and hallways...and in the morning all you hear are kegs rolling on the cobblestone as the lorry restocks the pub (that was in Ireland)
- backing onto a residential area in the north - I appear to be on a snowmobile path...ROARRRRRRR
- carpeting near the fridge. I took a tub of sour cream out of the mini-fridge and the lid appeared to not quite be on properly...of course I discovered this fact after I grabbed it by the lid and it dumped out onto the carpet...nice. What a fucking mess.
- when the hotel does not have a restaurant, they tend not to put any utensils in your room. So I have a microwave, fridge and coffee maker and not a single utensil, save for coffee stirrers. I snuck a few plastic ones out of the continental breakfast room, but they are so cheap, I can hardly get the knife through the butter. They don't even put real glasses in the room, choosing instead to place separately sealed in bags cheapo plastic glasses emblazoned with Super 8. The rest of the room is so glassy, I was suprised to see they chose cheap plastic glasses.
- some hotels tailor your cable - so none of the channels here match up with local cable and I have no idea what is coming one, or when and they have blocked out the on-air cable guide
- housekeeping sometimes likes to ignore the DO NOT DISTURB signs and comes pounding on your door at 8am on the one day you can sleep in...I don't know if they simply cannot read or just like to piss the guests off. At this particular hotel, they have at least color coded them so I haven't had a repeat of last week's episode.
- controlling the temperature in the room can sometimes be your biggest challenge. At this hotel, they have digital thermostats in both the bedroom and living area. There is a flashing wrench on the bedroom one, so I gather it is having issues...and often the heating/cooling systems are as noisy as jumbo jets lifting off at Pearson Airport...
So there are positives and negatives of hotel life...and I have a few more weeks of it in the near future. At least in Fort Res I shall have my kitties with me for comfort. But then there is the small matter of where to place the litter boxes in a hotel room...ick.
No comments:
Post a Comment