Monday, November 13, 2006

I'll go where my mukluks take me!

It’s mid afternoon in the Yukon and I’m on a First Air flight heading to Yellowknife, via Fort Simpson, which is a community found near the head of the Mackenzie River as it flows out of the Great Slave Lake. As I shuffled across the tarmac in my mukluks, the wind was whipping snow around me, and I could hardly see across the runway. I was dressed for the weather though, and my mukluks have kept my feet toasty warm. Anyone knows how miserable you can feel if your feet are cold and you can’t seem to warm them up.


The plane is just a bit bigger than a puddle jumper, and seats about 40 people, max. The flight is nowhere near full, leaving everyone with an empty seat beside them if they choose. The sole flight attendant is cheerful and passing out freebies all along the way. You would never be treated this well on Air Canada. These northern airlines really know how to treat their passengers. The first round was hot washcloths – steaming actually! I was surprised to have it dangled in offering to me at the end of a pair of ice tongs, but I willingly obliged and mopped off my face and hands. It sure freshens a person up! After this she brought around recent newspapers from the territory so I snapped up one of them to pour over during the flight. Following that she traveled through with a tray of snack treats, again all free and we could have two of anything. Next round was beverages, and they don’t do it like Air Canada – hand you a cup of ice with 3 tablespoons of soda. They give you a cup of ice with the entire can for yourself. Now THAT is what I call service! And just so you know, the flight attendants in the north do not wear those cutesy ridiculous “stewardess” outfits with silk scarf and high heels. They dress sensibly in a flight jumpsuit and parka. There you go. She knows how to travel!


It only got better from there. After we landed in Fort Simpson, filled up the plane and took off, we were served SUPPER! Imagine, getting fed so well on a small airline. It wasn’t a hot meal, but it was a good dinner with chicken breast, salad, fresh dinner roll, carrot cake and a fruit cup.


People have been asking me if I’m excited about the move and the changes in my life and up until now I’ve been struggling with how I feel. My work experience in the Yukon had so many bitter corners, that I just couldn’t think about what lay ahead until I was done thinking about the toxic work environment I was leaving behind. And you know what…once the plane started down the runway for take-off I was excited. I see only positive things in my future and am now truly excited about my next adventure!


My friend J. and her husband J. took me to the airport, and my friend M. met us there as her partner was arriving shortly after my plane departed. Isn’t it always nice to have someone see you off at the airport? I think of Hugh Grant’s narration in the movie Love Actually and he talks about the arrivals gate at Heathrow airport, or any airport for that matter. Rarely is anyone UN-happy to see someone arrive, and if you’re ever feel lik you have lost faith in humanity, the arrivals gate is the place to hang out. Thanks guys!


I’ve already met someone from Fort Resolution. She doesn’t live there anymore, but she and her little son Andrew are sitting across from me. She also told me about breaking her neck a few years ago…that was surreal.


So, as I embark on the next stage of my life, heading into Yellowknife for training but also to spend time with a good friend who now lives there (from the east coast) I am really looking forward to it all. I’ve packed a small arsenal of yarn to get me through the training and expect to pack nothing but knitted goods for the return trip.

And no, there is not internet on the plane. I am posting this at the hotel when I get there tonight. Although I reckon it is only a matter of time…

No comments: