So There I Stood
in my mukluks, in front of the oil monitor (heater) eating ice cream, while watching the brilliant full moon in tonight's sky. My fingers are freezing, but my feet are toasty warm. I rooted them out this weekend and with the temps down so low (-25C right now) they are handy to have around. Instead of traditional slippers, I wear these babies to work and then at home all night. Keeps out the chills as the floors are not very warm in here without the fire going. The crawl space is quite frigid this time of year!
These used to belong to my dad and he and my mother each had a pair that they bought locally when we lived in northern Ontario. They wore them for a few years, but they ended up in a trunk and not taken out again for decades. When I moved up north last fall, I asked my parents for them, and they willingly shipped them out. I didn't realize how expensive they are to buy these days, but I can't find a pair under $200 around here. So I shall treasure these. I'll wear them until they start to wear out and then I'll just hang them up in the living room...they are super warm. I brought my mother's mukluks to my sister this spring when I visited her. I wonder if she's wearing them?
I do want to pick up a few locally made handicrafts though so will take a stroll downtown on Wednesday at lunch, my last day at work. There are several First Nations shops in town, so I should be able to find something nice. Wednesday is also payday...

No comments:
Post a Comment