Thursday, November 23, 2006

The Hotel Circuit

As most of you know, I've been in Yellowknife on training this past week. My first 7 nights I spent at one hotel, then had to move to a B & B, and then today moved to another hotel. My employer was unable to secure me accomodation in the same place for the entire time. It was a hassle for sure, particularly dragging my stuff all over the city in a taxi.


My first hotel was nice enough, and close to training so I could walk. Then I went to the B & B. That was interesting. I felt like I walked onto the set of That 70's Show. The hosts were pleasant enough, however breakfast was something to be endured rather than enjoyed. I had waffles that resembled dry oatmeal in texture and taste, and bacon that was so salty it was like eating salt pork. Now I like salty bacon, but this was like brine! So I didn't bother going up for breakfast the following morning, choosing instead to toast some of the fresh bread I had bought the night before. I was told off about that when I got home last night - "you didn't come up for breakfast and I got up early to cook it for you!". Um, sorry lady. I am not the only guest there (there were 3 others) and what I choose to do is up to me. So piss off. (I didn't say that).


So now I'm here at the Super 8, and while there is no kitchen to speak of, they have a microwave and fridge. I wish they had a couple of burners too, but will have to make due with what I have. The grocery store is just across the road, so I might make my way over there late to pick up something to eat.


Last night I did something rather dumb (WHAT, ME?). I was wearing a polyester skirt and I was too cheap to get a taxi home as they are beginning to add up, so chose to walk from Wal-Mart (yes...I am still addicted) and by the time I made it within 500 yards of the B & B, I could no longer feel my legs. Seriously. My knees and upper thighs to be specific. I think I was just moments away from frostbite. Once in the door, I flung off my skirt and jumped into flannel pjs, and it wasn't long before I warmed up, though it burned at first!!!


One of the gals at training is staying at another hotel near me and we have been sharing a cab to training. I usually call her to let her know I'm on my way and the stupid hotel - Nova Court - can't even bother to answer the phone there. Two mornings it rang and rang, and this morning for about 15 minutes. I tried both lines and no one would bother to pick it up. Arseholes.


so now I'm settled in until next Friday, phew. No more moving until then, thankfully. I've seen enough of the hotel circuit.

No comments: