Arrival in Yellowknife
The flight was on time, and my friend K. from Cape Breton was there to meet me. They had
gotten some snow this past few days, so the roads were a mess, however K. recently bought a Toyota Four Runner so we snaked through the city easy enough. We first stopped to check me into the hotel where there was a bit of a mix-up with the room. It was to be a suite with kitchenette and a separate bedroom, but when I opened the door, what faced me was a small single room. No kitchen, only one bed. I was told we were in a two-bedroom suite…hmmm…and the internet is something different. Instead of installing high speed in each room, they hand out a unit you plug in, so I think it is that wireless stuff that runs through the cell phone towers or something. And they were out except for a broken one she taped up and wished me luck with.
sigh.
So I went back down and tried to find out what was going on with the rooms and found out that the kitchenette was in the room next to me and the other social worker from Fort Res would be arriving tomorrow in that room and we would just open the adjoining door and both use the living/kitchen area. Phew. There are pros and cons of staying in either room, and the receptionist told me I could check into either room. The one in the bigger suite has a big closet in the bedroom, but no tv in the bedroom, instead it is out in the living area. The bathroom is designed differently and you don’t need to close the door in order to sit on the toilet, lol. But mine has large vanity, where the other has a very small one on which to stash your crap. In any event, the room is nice, the internet is crap. It worked for about 2 minutes just now, but before I got anything loaded up, it was out again. They have other plug in units, but I have to wait until someone turns one in and they will call me.
After check-in, K. took me over to her apartment, just down the road. Nice place K. has there and she has it so nicely decorated. If any of you remember her antique sofa, she finally had it refinished and it looks beautiful, however her other sofa is much more comfy (we agree). She cooked a lovely pork roast dinner and we chowed down! Thanks K.!
So now I am settled and unpacked into my room and ready to call it a night. These posts might not get posted until tomorrow, but I will try and remember to date/time them according to when I actually wrote them.
No comments:
Post a Comment