Friday, March 23, 2007

Springing Into Life!

It was -35C on Monday morning. Today it was +9C. Spring has definitely sprung, if only temporarily. I am hoping the frosty temps are gone until fall, and that spring is now upon us, melting the snow and the rain tonight is washing away winter's tired look. Yes, I said the RAIN! Yahoo! We haven't had rain since late September or early October...several months ago. I don't much like the inbetween time though, when the snow is all dirty and rotting. I'm looking forward to the first blooms, whenever that might be. My guess is sometime in late May or early June. It was about that time last year in the Yukon before the leaves came on the trees. Once they did, the came fast and furious. I can't wait!


Of course. It could be -35C again next Friday, for all that. So I shall bask in the spring sun, and take advantage of what I can whilst I can. Tomorrow is a road trip to Fort Providence with a couple of friends. We are planning on driving on the Mackenzie River ice road, and cross to the other side as well. I'm hoping for a nice sunny day, so I can take some photographs, as the dull snowy days are difficult to capture on film.


T'was potluck at the nursing station here tonight. One of the nurses hosted the teachers, RCMP, my boss, and I for supper tonight. The RCMP didn't make it this time, but everyone else did. I brought BBQ chicken breasts and rice. It has finally warmed enough to BBQ. I'm no sissy and can stand out there in the cold to BBQ, but since it is unsheltered, the BBQ loses most of its heat, so it is fruitless most of the time to BBQ. I think I did once over the winter, but I've done it about 4 times this week so far, heh heh.


It was nice to get out with others tonight though, I have to say. The teachers are all fairly young folks, and we talked about travel, work, shopping, play, you name it. We feasted on a variety of dishes, including a super hot and spicy enchiladas - zowie, my lips were burning. My chicken all went, despite the slightly burnt texture...there was a flareup...but who can pass on freshly grilled outside chicken in early spring? Dessert was fruit pizza, of a different variety than I am used to...rice krispie treat crust, chocolate frosting, and fruit on top. Normally I've seen it made with a more shortbread like crust, cream cheese filling spread over that, with fruit on top, then glazed with apricot jam. Ok, now I'm hungry again...


Now it is time to rest my healing eyes and listen to music....perhaps some reading. (not as harsh as electronic screens of the computer and television).

No comments: