Shit Happens
What a treat to come home to...plumbing is frozen up and who knows when the plumber can fix it all, if at all. My sewage pipes were frozen so I couldn't use the toilet or bathtub...or anything else, but those were the two biggies in my books. I had to drive to the office to use the bathroom, since I don't feel like going to my neighbors, whom I do not know, and ask them if I can take a crap in their home...oh the shame of it all...
The first guy who came said he didn't know what the problem was for sure, but assumed my pipes had frozen and burst, but he was too big to fit under the trailer to fix it, and his "boys" are laid off for the winter, and drawing Employment Insurance, and have no wish to work at this kind of stuff in the cold winter. Yeah...chew on that one for a while...
Enter the plumber from Hay River with his professional steamer, and after much effort, was able to clear my plumbing lines only to inform me that I have bigger problems...the toilet seal is leaking and has soaked my bathroom floor, leaving it soggy and rotting...the drain from the washer is leaking, the bathroom sink is leaking, the pipes in between the toilet and tub are installed improperly, a bit of a hack job...and there is no "clean out", whatever that is...
I can use my plumbing, but sparingly until the bigger problems are resolved. Arrrrggghhhh...just what I wanted when I was supposed to be resting comfortably at home and healing my eyes.
The first guy came back with the second guy, they talked shop for a while, and agreed that nothing more could be done right now as they don't have the manpower sorted out, or the right parts...but they will see about things tomorrow...seems to be the theme of the north thus far. Time, people, and resources are not always readily available to solve problems...and that included plumbing.
They're gone now, and I've since scoured the bathroom, and had a shower to clean the grit off...a bushwoman I am not, when it is this cold. I don't mind not having running water as long as I can dip into a pond, river, lake, or ocean if need be to clean up. All that stuff is currently frozen...probably for a few more months yet.
Now it's time to cook supper...I can wash things off again.
2 comments:
Glad you made it home alive! You are much calmer than I would be if the pipes froze. I tend to get very...uptight about these things.
Hubby is hoping to get the eye surgery soon. Any tips or ideas we should know about? Where did you go, and who did it? It probably won't happen for him this summer, since we are doing everything ELSE this summer....
I went to Lasik MD which is supposed to be the best around. The jury is still out for me...my recovery with PRK is ongoing so I won't know just how successful it was for up to a month or more.
Lasik MD has clinics all over Canada. With my surgery, there was a chance of undercorrection, so I may end up using a contact for one eye if things don't sort themselves out in a month.
Post a Comment