Thursday, January 11, 2007

My Irish Cats


Talk about weird phenomenon...I have this tin whistle, which is kind of like a cross between a flute and a recorder (in my mind). You may have seen them, they often are brass colored, and have a plastic mouthpiece and about 6 holes. I got mine in Ireland, and it came with a book, and to this day, have never done much with it. In fact, I bought it for the non-resident daughter, and she didn't do much with it either. So it has sat on my shelving unit with the rest of my souvenirs for several years now, having bought it in 2001, which much to my surprise, is now 6 years ago.


So I picked it up today, book and tin whistle and thought I might just as well have a go at it. I don't currently possess any sort of musical talent, but I have always liked how the tin whistle sounds, and it is small enough to travel with easily, unlike a tuba or sax...well, I was not prepared for what came next.


Like the Pied Piper, these crazy cats of mine flocked to where I was, and began to crawl all over me and the whistle. Stormy is nosey enough anyhow, to be poking his nose around when something was up, but it was so much more than that. He kept wanting to make face contact with the whistle, and then Via was all over me, and wanting to touch the whistle. WTF? So then I thought, fuck it, I'm gonna walk around with it, and practice the scales...so there I was, in my pyjamas and equipped with tin whistle, marching through the trailer, up and down and the cats were following me from room to room, up and down the hall. I'm sure if anyone was watching, they'd figure me daft...I wasn't so sure that my cheese hadn't slipped off a little, to be playin the tin whistle to my kitties...but it was an interesting activity.


I'm not sure what draws them to the sound. It was the weirdest thing. Maybe my cats are Irish.

1 comment:

Big Hoser said...

Ah, the tin whistle...

I have one myself and my cats used to congregate at my feet whenever I'd play.

There's something in the frequency...

:D

~HH.