Thursday, January 04, 2007

Team Building




I met my supervisor and YK members of my "team" today, finally. I've been working for 2 months and finally met my supervisor, lol. They had a short intake meeting, and then a staff meeting, so that was nice, to meet everyone. When I need to call up here, now I can put a face to the names.

We had I had a chance to get on the road with one of them today and drove to Dettah, which is northeast of YK they say. We drove on the regular road, which was in shitty shape, and slippery, and after we got there, did our home visits, we noticed that someone was driving on the ice road, so went to take a look and sure enough, it opened today, so we drove back on the ice road. It was smooth, clear, and not slippery...ironic.

After we got back from Dettah, I met with my supervisor for a short while and then a call came in about a nasty apartment. My new teammates and I went out (3 of us) to take a look. Nasty doesn't describe it. I'm not sure what does. Maybe my readers have a word for the scene we saw...maggots, worms, bugs, flies, shit, mould, sputum, rotten food, rotten diapers, rotten baby bottles, dirt...garbage piled about 3-4 feet deep, covering about 70% of the apartment. What would you call it? Particularly when two little ones under 2 live there...I don't think I can really describe the smell either...it clung to my clothes too...ick.

So I spent most of the day with my new team, even if they are removed from me here in YK. Nice.

No comments: