On The Road Again
Interesting day. I drove into Hay River today to catch a flight, only to discover it was delayed. Actually, there weren't enough planes, so we had to wait until one was free. Yeah, I'll let you digest that one...
The highway in the photos is the Fort Resolution Hwy to Hay River. There isn't much to look at it on it other than trees, trees, and more trees, until about 20 minutes outside of Hay River when I was graced with this beautiful sunset.
The guy two rows back from me on the plane had an escort and a nice shiny pair of bracelets on...he was picked up at the airport in a marked car...
While waiting in Hay River for over 3 hours, two young girls decided to ATTACH to me, particularly the 4 year old. I was sitting off in the corner alone, watching my ER Season 6 that I finally got in the mail today from A. Was to be a Christmas present...glad of it today! But yet, I was a magnet for these girls. The 7 year old wasn't too bad, and openly advised me that she was permitted to watch ER, and she wouldn't talk during it like her sister was. I tried to watch it with them there, but there was too much chatter, and the 4 year old (a BIG 4 year old) kept trying to touch my computer and I had visions of a stray swipe knocking it to the floor, cracking the screen once again. She finally got the message and left it the hell alone. Did I mention that they both had very sticky fingers (OF COURSE) and were sucking on candy canes.
First Air is still my favorite airline, despite the delays. Where else can you go from "the plane is landing in 4 minutes"(meaning the one we were waiting for so we could board) to picking up my luggage less than an hour later in a totally different city. Ok, the flight was just 30 minutes, but in that time, they unloaded the plane and luggage, loaded us on, served us snacks, then drink rounds, newspapers, and then landed, luggage put off shortly after we got inside, all in the span of an hour. There are no tedious security checks, taking off your jewelry, shoes, coats, etc. The luggage comes within mere moments. The plane taxis for just a few minutes (not the lengthy ride you take in Toronto's Pearson Aiport) and there is no lineup to take off. We were off in just a few hundred yards (it seemed). First Air ROCKS!
Did I mention that First Air also ordered pizza for people who had to wait. FREE. And asked me if there was anything I didn't like on it before they ordered. Can you see Air Canada doing that? Um, no. They don't even feed you on the plane, let alone the airport...
So now my lists are prepared for shopping over the next couple of days, and hope to get in a few meals at some nice restaurants. My friend K. is away this time, but returning Friday, so we will get a chance to hang out as well.

1 comment:
First Air sounds like fun and must be a northern territory airline as I've never heard of it. Oh well, good for you for finding more positives!
Sucks about the smell of the aprtment though!
~HH.
Post a Comment