And Just When I Thought I Was Finished Unpacking...
I was informed yesterday that they are not renewing my term...not a huge surprise, but still throws ya a little. When they hired me they did tell me it was a pilot position for Intake, and if they could justify needing it, they might get funding continued for it for another year...that didn't happen and they cut the budget by two staff, so there may be an axe falling on someone else as well, but I don't know who.
In any event, I am now on the hunt for another job. It would be great to get another in the Yukon, and there is a possibility in youth probation (AGAIN) and this time I have confirmation that there are two positions...so I might be able to stay...I do not relish the thought of moving yet AGAIN. I have only just put up the last of my things...
However, should I have to move, YTG is beholden to pay for it, wherever it may be in Canada, as long as it's no farther than from where I left (NS). So now I need to pick a spot on the map and apply for jobs there...I have already applied for 3, and will get on it more again today. I don't want to take a cut in pay just yet, so I might be limited to northern Alberta and NWT. I don't have any desire at this time to work in Nunavut...for me, northern Alberta is calling. I haven't lived on the prairies yet, having been in most other elements, so that would be different, and handy to both my sis in BC and A. if she does move to Edmonton or Calgary. I could do city social work, and look for a rental outside Edmonton or Calgary, but I'm not just sure yet...will keep looking among the posts and see what comes up. I would love to live in southern BC, but the reality is, I can't make enough money to live there with the way their housing market is. Whatever...all I know is that by Christmas I shall be employed elsewhere...location TBA.
I am hoping to stay here....A. is hoping I will move to Edmonton or Calgary (cause she can move with me) and K. is hoping I will move closer to her in BC...it will depend on if there are ANY job offers...the alternative is EI which would be top dollar, but still loads less than I make now...decisions, decisions...
4 comments:
Good grief! I would hate to move again so soon. At least the move is free, pretty much anywhere you want in Canada! (You don't want to go to NFLD, do you?)
You survived one winter here, it would be nice to stay another, now that you know what it's like!
Hmmm.... Yellowknife and Inuvik have CAS positions.... Kath....
Well, that's just chitty.
Sorry to hear about the unannounced change, although I beender dundat. ;)
Southern BC can be tough, finance-wise, but I understand Alberta's no better. I have family in the Grande Prairie area (NW of Edmonton) working with the RCMP... I could get them to LMK about any postings... Of course, I can also look locally for ya too. I just can't remember your 'specialty' (as in the area you'd like to work).
~HH.
I chuckle when people talk about surviving a winter here...they are so mild in nature that I found I didn't really think about winter much...sure it's frosty, but that's about all there is to winter, some cold temperatures and little snow.
Now if you want to talk about survival, try the east coast, such as Labrador where the temps are just as cold or colder, and they average 23 feet of snow a year.
It does suck to have to think about job hunting and moving again...I feel exhausted just thinking about moving and all that goes with it, however it is now my reality...sigh!
so I am hoping for another local position instead...fingers crossed!
Post a Comment