Monday, August 07, 2006

White Pass Route



A few photos we took as we emerged from the clouds and could see mountain tops again! And crossed the US/Canada border. Customs was fun, a little intrusive like getting an enema...all for $9 in GST...it was all quite ridiculous...some newbie power tripping youngster pawing through our purchases like we were criminals...sorry to disappoint, we only bought postcards and t-shirts...and a ring from some foreign idiot in Skagway who told us (and we stupidly listened) that we would not have to pay duty on it because we were permitted to take back $800 worth of goods...clearly I did not have my brain on right when I listened to such drivel...but then I can't imagine that he completes the same apparently painstaking task of having people root around in their car for all of their purchases and receipts, drag them into the customs building where dumbass itemized a list in triplicate of every single thing we bought, and then hauled out one of those old fashioned carbon credit card gadgets so I could pay the 9 bucks. While we were in there, dozens of cars were waved through and I can't imagine none of them spent a nickel in Skagway...they probably just lied, which is certainly what I feel like doing the next time to avoid the violation of my privacy...it just really irked me to see this pubescent power tripper pawing through my belongings as if I was some criminal...and I have to say, I did not know that you couldn't bring ANYTHING back from the US duty free unless you have stayed 24 hours(and even then it is only $50...stupid me...I thought we had free trade with the US...apparently not....


So after an hour at customs, we were on our way...and glad to get back home...after a fun and interesting day in Skagway, it was just irritating to have it end on such a sour note...Customs sucks. And just why do they need to know where A. works, who bought the car, who owns the car, who is the car registered to, where I work, and he asked for my ID four times...what a dumbass...I was quite irritated by the time we left, as you can imagine.

No comments: