Thursday, April 20, 2006

Net Woes

Well, as you know, I have my laptop back, but was told my net couldn’t be reconnected for up to four business days (next Tuesday). So I came home and turned on my computer, and it attempted and failed to connect to the net. Ok, just thought I’d try. Then I think about it and wonder if I actually turned off the power bar a few weeks ago, because all of a sudden I’m having a flashback…checked it out and sure enough, it was turned off. So I turned off the laptop, and then turned on the power to the modem and router, and turned my laptop back on and lo and behold, the signal was back. My wireless network picked up and connected to the internet, and confirmed that I was now connected to the wireless network at 36.0 mbps and my signal strength is excellent. However, I was not able to access internet programs, or download email. I kept getting error messages. So I thought, hmmmm…call tech support and see what we can try out in case I need to sign into some program or something…I don’t remember if I did when I first signed up last fall or not.


I called Northwestel and was put through numerous voice menus of course…sigh…only to be told by the operator that technical support was closed for the night ( it was 9:00pm). They informed me that they only provide technical support from 7am-7pm. WTF? I’ve had internet service of some sort for more than 10 years and don’t ever recall that any of the many different companies not offering 24 hour tech support for their services. I recall many nights being up at midnight on with tech support solving some issue or another, and having been waiting in sequence at 2am, because it’s still that busy…and now I live somewhere where their hick company shuts down tech support at 7pm…sheesh, most working stiffs are just getting home from work about 6 or so, and like many I often come home and get some supper, and check email afterwards, maybe about 7 or 8 pm, and many with kids wouldn’t get the chance to until later, possibly 9 or 10pm. And at that point might realize there is a problem with their internet. And no one to call to help you fix it until 7am tomorrow morning. WHAT THE FUCK? Irritating is what it is. This from a company that offers 3 levels of high speed service…here you go, really great internet services for the north, and I live in the country as well…but we won’t offer you technical support for much more than an hour or so a day when you’re actually at home and able to use it…


Anyhow. Interesting how I am able to connect to the internet but not to access it. And miss supervisor earlier today said that they removed the piece at the terminal nearby on my street that my internet streamed through, and would have to come back and put it back in before my internet service would work, likely sometime next week, that they don’t leave them in after someone cancels their account. Um, I didn’t cancel my account, I asked them to suspend the service until I got my computer back, and leave my email account alone, which they did…I accessed my northwestel email consistently for the last month while my computer was out of service on the computer at work after hours. Whatever says missy. But how am I able to connect to the internet easily and not be able to access the internet…curious. I wonder if it has something to do with that little piece…heh heh.


Anyhow, good to have my computer back just the same. At least I can create my posts at home now in the comfort of my own home. I just save them on my usb key and post them at work in the morning, right from Word. That will have to do until the net is back up and running properly at home.

1 comment:

Dreama said...

Yes, you never know when big brother is watching...and I work for the territorial government so they likely have their paw in everything. And now I have my privacy again, lol...