Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

and child protection...if things work out, I may be leaving my intake job at the agency and jumping ship to move to youth probation...different stress and hopefully less of it. And I would get to remain in the Yukon. As well, it was I originally wanted to do when I first graduated uni in 1999. I even wrote the Public Service Commission's GCT Level 1 test and scored 81%, just couldn't break my way in with the feds...my first degree is in sociology/criminology and legal studies, and I had volunteered at the youth probation office in Kitchener, however it wasn't easy to get into the workforce fresh out of uni with no real paid experience, and alas, the dream was gone...and I jumped into another degree (or two) and found myself working in child protection. I had initially only planned on a couple of years, but once I got into it, I kind of liked the thrill of the investigation on some levels, although I didn't particularly like the whole apprehension part, although necessary, it was one of the most stressful parts of the job, for all concerned, including the child.


I've been feeling quite stressed again lately and before I actually crash and burn, I WANT OUT. So after some meetings and discussion, I am looking at making a move...not sure when, and how it will all play out, but the more I think about it, the more I am looking forward to the change. I had known for a few years I wasn't going to stay in child protection and was looking for a chance to get out, but thought I was tied to my term here, however I've been informed that it is very possible to make moves with the gov here, so lets get busy and move!


Of course, work is not my only stress...when is it ever anyone's total stress? There are health issues to consider, both mine and that of others. One of my ex-husband's sisters is in the final stage of breast cancer, which is just rotten for everyone involved. She is just a young woman and although she has put up a hell of a fight and remained so positive throughout, that dreadful killer has taken it's toll on her. I'm going to miss her.


and then there is money...while my financial situation is definitely improved up here, and the bills are getting paid, I just feel like I will never be out from under the mountain of student loan debt...sigh...


My own health has become a concern lately...the fibromyalgia is ever present, nagging me with fibro fog, constant fatigue, and occasional pain. Now I have to worry about my blood pressure. I have never had any difficulty with it, and it's been at a good level most of my life - 110/72 usually. Now it has been rising steadily over the past 3 months, and both my doc and I are concerned. I don't want to have to take meds, so we are trying to reduce stress, get plenty of rest, exercise and improve my crappy diet over the next few weeks. So I'm off for a couple of weeks sick leave to see what I can do about that.


In the meantime, I am working with folks to see what can happen with my job situation. I'll be sure to keep y'all posted. (yee haw, hayseed)

No comments: