Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr, That Water Is Cold
I don't know how I did it, but I completed the course! It was one of the hardest and most challenging physical tasks I've done in a while...I'm not exactly the athletic type...an occasional drunken hike on a camping trip doesn't even come near what I did this weekend! We began on a lake on Friday night, learning basic strokes such as the draw, pry, sweep, forward, brace, and just getting used to the water. The lake was actually a run off part of the Yukon River, so had some moving water too, but little current. On day two we were on the Yukon River, near the dam, so some fast moving water, and we learned how to use our strokes to do certain things, such as ferry across the river, and turn the boat into an eddy, and going through chutes. Today we went on the Takhini River and got into some rapids, mostly class 1 and 2, but one was class 3.
It was in a class 2 rapid that me and another gal rolled it...we got jammed between two rocks...one on the left bow and one at the right stern, and a canoe slammed into us on top of that...the boat rolled to the right, dumping me and the gal jumped out and up onto a rock. I had been paddling with an experienced gal all morning and switched off again with another gal, and the first thing we did was the Rock Garden, and dumped us out! I stayed with the canoe though, as it was full of water, and guided it to shore. The water was icy of course, and up to my armpits, but we all had water pants on with a rubber waist to keep the water out, and so I only got wet mostly on top. Some spilled into my ass, but I couldn't be bothered changing my pants as it isn't easy there on the edge of the river, stripping down, and taking off neoprene booties, water pants, my socks, and pants, and underwear...I wasn't that wet to go through that in the cold. But I was drenched up top, so got Amber to shield me a little so I could change my t-shirt and sweatshirt, however I didn't have an extra jacket so had to wring out my jacket and fleece vest to put back on again...I couldn't just put my life jacket on and go...it was cold, wet and rainy.
But I didn't get a chill...I just kept on paddling and away we went. Another canoe rolled in rapids again, dumping her and her husband, and trapping her under the canoe, with no air pocket...she got out in a few moments, but it was scary until someone got the canoe off her! I didn't see it as I was on my way down through the rapids at the time.
The scenery when the fog and rain lifted was beautiful...mountains everywhere and ice along the river made for wonderful scenery. I didn't take my camera, but there were a few there and I'll get some of theirs for sharing later. We had more lazy river paddling today too, so a nice combination. We had lunch by the river today, with a blazing fire, and the steam flew off me!
And now I sit here, in muscular agony, mostly in the forearms, and one shoulder. I haven't really slept since Thursday, so I need to work on either medicating or drinking enough to pass out tonight...
I have to say though, I am right proud of myself though for completing such a physical adventure. I wanted to give up a number of times, but was determined to finish the course, and I DID!
No comments:
Post a Comment