Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Vacation Hump Day

Well, I've been here since Saturday, and will be leaving wee early on Saturday, so figure this is my hump day. It has been a good vacation so far, except for breaking my computer ($700 damage), and getting even more sick than when I left (now on antibiotics). The boys have certainly grown(my nephews) and for the most part (between the kicking, ear piercing screams and eye gouging) are pleasant to be around. We all sat down and watched The Garfield Movie last night while their parents were out (sis at meeting, BIL at work) and they were as good as gold, I hardly heard a peep out of them. They are busy little boys though, and if anything, spending time with them takes care of any notions I might have had about parenting again...I do not have the energy!


My sis and I spent a fun day in Smithers this afternoon, shopping in the snobby downtown area. One sales lady even made a point of telling my sister on her way into the dressing room that the pants she had with her to try on weren't THAT big...my sister was a little offended. I simply smelled snobbery...Smithers is known to ooze it. Snobs or not, they still got my money at several stores. I bought some beautiful Balinese tie-dye fabric to make capri pants for both my sister and I. It was pricey, but was very good quality cotton, hand-dyed fabric. I'll get at them later tonight. My sis is going to Mexico next week on an annual mission trip with her church and needed a few things to wear as shorts are not acceptable where she is going. We finished off the trip with supper at Boston Pizza. The food was good, but the waitress brought our food and was never to be heard from again...her tip got smaller and smaller until it was barely there...


The weather here has been gorgeous...was +22C yesterday in the sun/lund. I have been in shirtsleeves most of the time. It shall be difficult to return to the Yukon's frosty weather, but nice to know I have really been "down south". They call it that up there...going anywhere south of the Yukon is considered "down south", and typically means Vancouver. Being from the east could mean you are from Calgary...yeah, right.


I have been sick since I got here, coughing and hacking my way, day and night, but hope to wake up one morning soon, feeling better. I had to pay $50 to see the doctor here becuase their computer system won't accept Yukon or NWT Health cards...what a crock of shit! I got a receipt so will get my fifty bucks back however I am pissed that they couldn't take it. So much for national health care...I shall make much noise about it in my typical style when I stop by the Yukon health office too...


The snow is mostly gone here, and the kids all have their bikes out..ahhh...spring!


Now I am off to settle in for the evening with my sis...

2 comments:

Dreama said...

I've been sewing for more than 30 years; my grandmother taught me and bought me my first sewing machine at age 10, which I still have, although have upgraded since then. I sew most of my own skirts for that very reason...can't find ones that fit like I want, so to hell with the retailers. I buy fabric on sale mostly, and make one for about $10 in about an hour. The skill has come in handy manys a time...curtains, quilts, crafts, kids clothes, my clothes, bridesmaids dresses, wedding gowns, etc...I love sewing!

Dreama said...

oh, I probably could, if you were here in the Yukon!