Saturday, March 04, 2006

OK, I Give Up

I got lucky when I first got my load of wood. It was mostly small stuff that would fit in the stove. Now I am down to the last bits of wood and they are too big for the stove, so I need to split them with my handy new axe. However....it did not go well. Every once in a while I go out and give it a shot, but have yet to split a piece. It shouldn't be that HARD! Is my axe not sharp enough? Is it my upper body strength (which is shit)? Or is it the wood? Either way, I am not going to attempt it again until I figure it out. My friend T. from work had once offered...I think it's time to take him up on it. After all, there isn't much to chop. What happened yesterday was that I had the axe sunk into the top of the wood and raised both up in the air to come slam it down onto the chopping block again and the wood fell off and the axe swung past the block and slammed into my leg. For whatever reason though, it wasn't the blade that hit me, but the other end, and it got me on the ankle bone and the shin. First there was some screaming, then some cursing. Then the whimpering began. It fucking hurt like a son of a bitch. When I finally stopped crying out, I grabbed minimal wood and limped off back into the wood to collect myself and curse some more.


I ordered more wood for this afternoon and asked for more small stuff if I could get it, either that or I am going to have to rent a splitter along with it. So now I have to get up and limp outside and prepare an area to have the wood delivered. I have been chucking out the bigger pieces of wood after trying to stuff them into the stove, and they are scattered all over the back yard as I give them the heave ho off into the snow. They get partially burnt as I'm try to get it into the stove, so have to throw it into the snow to extinguise the smoldering cinders.


Ok, now it's time to get up and get moving today...and I am not about to slam the axe into my leg again...it hurts too much, particularly when I knock it again by accident...I almost want to throw up...

1 comment:

Dreama said...

You know what, I don't bruise easily and so there isn't much there, though still quite sore. Incidentally, one of my aunts lopped off her sister's finger on the chopping block as children. OUCH. Time to stoke the fire...