Monday, July 31, 2006

Territorial Air


Within the scope of my job, I infrequently am asked to escort children to destinations outside the city, and often, territory. Today was one of those days...with two youth in tow, I boarded Air North's puddle jumper and headed north. First stop was Dawson City, a gravel airstrip just outside of town, nestled between the mountain. I was only off the plane long enough to use the bathroom...however I have already been to the town, so didn't feel too bad about that.


Then we were off, and flew over the Tombstone mountain range, which is GORGEOUS! We were so close, we felt as though we just skimmed them. There were beautiful pools of water among the mountains too...amazing colors.

The planes themselves were a little rustic, you might say...the only no smoking/fasten your seatbelt sign was up front, as shown here...along with the "portable breathing apparatus" - I guess that means nothing is dropping from the ceiling...and the luggage was between us and the cockpit. Hmmm...but other than the duct tape and jagged plastic on the window next to me, the plane seemed otherwise sound...


After Dawson, we were bound for Inuvik, where my youth were met by their social worker and she handed me a couple of paper bags with food in them, and a can of iced tea! I wasn't expecting it, and it was a nice treat. Inside was a homestyle turkey sandwich and the largest muffin I have ever seen.

No comments: