Friday, June 22, 2007

First Paddle of the Season






I took the plunge today and dragged my kayak out of hibernation. It had water in it, which I presume was the ice that the movers packed it with...there was also a collection of leaves and dirt, which I attempted to clean out. Without a hose, it was not as easy.

After wrestling it up onto the roof of my car, and lashing it down, I was off, small digital camera, pfd, and drybag in tow. I can't fit my new camera into my smallest wetsack and didn't know how things would go out on the lake, so thought I would opt for the small camera for the intial journey.

There is no graceful way for someone my size to get in and out of a kayak unassisted...I managed to get in rather easily, only to find myself hung up on a rock. The water near shore is very shallow and I had picked a muddy/rocky area to put in at, as the beach was quite busy. The beach would have been easier on my kayak, but I was content to make an asshole of myself in a more private fashion tonight.

A few strained pushes with my hands and paddle and I was off! I paddled for about 45 minutes I guess, stopping now and then to take it all in, snap photos, and adjust my lifejacket (it rides up). The wind was just perfect, enough to keep the flies to a minimum, though I did manage to catch a deer fly mid-flight in one of the above photos...they are nasty little bastards...

Not wanting to overdo it on my first paddle, I didn't cross to Mission Island, going only 3/4 of the way instead. My right shoulder is sore as it is, and will surely be throbbing later.

So there you have it...my first paddle is overwith and I feel GREAT!

No comments: