Sunday, June 04, 2006

Rainy Days and Rainy Nights

Summer may have arrived in the Yukon, but the weekends have not yet caught up...they appear to be stuck in the spring! Rain, rain, and more rain. The weekdays are lovely, and since I've been off, I have been able to enjoy the sun, however my friends who work look forward to the weekends and it's been pissing rain most weekends.


The temps go up with the sun of course, but really drop with the rain, about 10-15 degrees less when it rains, making it chilly enough to light a small fire. I have turned off the oil monitor heater, as it was not necessary to maintain heat in the house now...no chance of freezing pipes now! The only thing freezing now is my fridge...there is something wrong with it, and most of my vegetables have frozen so I have had to throw them out, along with all of the eggs. Also frozen is cheeze, but it is still edible, and all the beverages, which is just plain annoying. The milk has been frozen and half thawed so many times...my landlady is aware and has promised to replace it with either another used one, or something new. In the meantime, my fridge is looking a little bare since tossing so much food and I don't plan on restocking until it is replaced...


Speaking of rainy nights, I am disappointed that I can't hear the rain more on the roof. There is no attic as the ceiling is opened right to the roof (cathedral type you might say) but they likely have tons of insulation between the roof and ceiling, thus absorbing the patter of rain...drat! There's nothing like a steady rain on the roof to lull you to sleep...


And then we have the tomcats of the house who love to play at night it seems...stirring you out of a dead sleep with their antics. Yes, the little bastards are at it again/still. Last night it was a game of hide and seek in the kitchen cupboards. I came stomping down at one point and found Stormy in the kitchen standing outside the cupboard under the sink...I opened the door and there was McGee, sitting there, waiting to be discovered. How can you get mad at them when they look that cute...it was a stretch but I DID. The noise was coming from Stormy opening and closing the door with his paw, so I left it wide open and suddenly the game was over...then they attacked a cardboard box and played a similar game until I stomped downstairs once again to put it away...seriously guys, you are driving me nuts. Finally I was able to locate my ear plugs as it was clear they were not in the mood to settle down just yet and although I really don't like the ear plugs much, I did manage to sleep until about 11am at which point my friend K. in Yellowknife called and was shocked to find me still in bed...I used to be up at 7 am, weekends and all...those days are gone.


So I will head to bed with my blinders on to shut out the midnight sun, and my earplugs in to shut out the prowling tomcats...no wonder I sleep alone...

No comments: