Thursday, February 23, 2006

Dusk in February and Other "Friday" Ramblings

This is a photo of dusk in my backyard. We now have daylight for at least an hour or so after I get home from work, which is AWESOME! When I pull out of the parking lot at work, I can still see the sun above the clay cliffs.


Today is "Friday" as we have the day off tomorrow to celebrate Heritage Day, although I reckon most people will be celebrating the Sourdough Rendezvous in the liquid fashion. Even the kids get into the whole dress up thing. I was at an elementary school this morning to chat with a child and in the office, the receptionist was wearing a can can showgirl outfit, and I don't even know how many little girls were wearing the same thing, huge skirts, ruffles, feathers on their head, the whole bit! It was cute and disturbing at the same time as can can dancers are generally quite provocative in their style, and they were named can can for their scandalous dancing techniques at the time. It has been a big thing here since back in the Gold Rush days, and they still have the can can dancers in Dawson City at Diamond Tooth Gertie's where I hope to visit this summer. Dawson City is about 530kms from Whitehorse, so a few hours drive.

I finally got my Yukon license plate last week and couldn't get one of the screws out, so took my car to Toyota thinking the would simply help out. I left my car there as it was early and I had to work, just down the street. When I came back later to pick it up, I discovered they charged me $30 just to put my friggin license plate on!!! I was savage. And they acted like they did me a favour because it took their guy 40 minutes to do it and they charged me for 30 minutes...WTF? If I had know how much they were going to jack me for, I would have tried a little harder to do it myself, gotten a good set of pliers or some damn thing...dammit, $30!!!

I got bad news today at work about a little 5 year old who just found out he has cancer. Where is the justice in that? I know I've been surrounded by cancer my whole life, all my grandparents died of it, two SIL's and so on, but to hear about a 5 year old chills me to the bone. All I can think about is that poor mother realizing her little boy has to go through so much pain and suffering in the near future, something little ones should not have to know about in their short little lives so far. It just plain sucks.

My daughter is moving out of her mice-infested-no-heat-working-carbon-monoxide-poison house this weekend, what a relief! She and her significant other are moving into a nice apartment downtown Halifax and I can't wait to see some pics of the place. I am impressed that she has been able to cope with it all without me. She even went to the Tenant's board to complain about her landlord failing to take care of things. I'm so proud...

I am getting to the end of my wood, unless I get out there and start using my axe. I do have a fair bit of that crappy old shit that was here when I moved in, but it doesn't burn well and so now I have to think about ordering another load. She told me it would take me to the end of February and she wasn't off by much!

So there you have it, ramblings from a Thursday night...now it is nearly time for Survivor...

1 comment:

Dreama said...

yes, exactly my point. My old mechanic in Ontario was great and often did little jobs for nothing because he knew I would come back again and again for the big stuff. An honest mechanic is always hard to find...sigh!