Sunday, March 30, 2008

Northern Lights of Yellowknife










I had already gone to bed, and was watching Will and Grace on the PVR, when I heard what sounded like either firecrackers or gunshot...it could have been either given the neighborhood. When I got up to check, I saw the northern lights were out in full force again tonight, so took a short stroll out on to the balcony with my camera. Noticed the RCMP were down below, driving around...likely for the firecrackers/gunshots, lol.

I didn't care that it was well after midnight, -25C and I was in my jammies, I was determined to get out for more photos, so I bundled up in my down jacket and took a drive on the Dettah Ice Road. The beginning is just down the road from me and lets me get a more unobstructed view of the aurora, with no lights to distract from it. The photos I was able to get before my battery died are stunning (to me anyhow).


Now if I just had a big tripod, I could do even better. I have just my tiny one, as I donated my big one to the college in Fort Resolution before I left for their video project.

No comments: