Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Zap!

I live in the north. It is cold in the north. It is very dry in the north. Dry air BREEDS static electricity. It is a royal pain in the finger...if it's metal, I will zap it. If it's breathing, I will also zap it. The cats are FULL of static electricity. Henry has long fur and each time he gets up from the couch blankets, his fur is standing on end...quite the FUZZ!


So, I get zapped when I touch any of the electronics - tv, stereo, dvd player, computer, you name it. I fried two telephones with my electric touch...zapped them and they just died. I zap the metal corner protectors on the sheetrock walls, when I touch the stove, the fridge, the metal closet doors, all of it. It doesn't matter if I am barefoot or wearing socks or slippers, however my woolen slippers made by my friend J. in Whitehorse harbour up an enormous amount of static electricity.


At work, we are all zapping one another, the file cabinets, the computers, the secure door locks, the metal doors, the metal tables, the metal chairs...everything! Wearing rubber soled shoes makes no difference...the zaps keep coming.


A humidifier might make a small difference, but the air is so dry, I would have to have one in every room, and then the first time I opened the door or window, it would all get SUCKED outdoors. When I moved in here, the former tenant had just shampooed the carpets and while they were dry when I got here, the steam from the carpets was running down the windows, and you could feel it in the air, particularly when you breathed in. I thought turning up the heat might dry it up, and for the first 24 hours it was like a sauna, with no improvement. Then I opened up the balcony door for about 10 minutes and it took ALL of the moisture out, leaving not a single drop on the windows. I was amazed at how fast it happened.


Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzap!!!!

No comments: