Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Mid-Summer Ramblings

Well here we are, at mid-summer...the days are already getting noticeably shorter, though I still need my sleep mask for the early morning. Before we know it, the stars will be visible to us again and we'll see black night, moon and all. Then comes the cold and dark winter...I wonder when it begins snowing here...my guess is late September...I'll be sure to post the first snowfall of the year.


The wicked heat of the year has passed...the dry heat anyhow. It's been raining off and on nearly every day or so, which is not a bad thing...keeps down on the forest fires. I haven't smelled smoke in the trailer in a couple of weeks now which is nice. The nasty bulldog flies have all but disappeared, however the mosquitoes are still out in full force and when the wind is lulled, the black flies attack with a vengeance.


There is a cultural week coming up in two weeks that I hope to be attending. They have demonstrations of traditional ways each day for a week where I can go and learn how to make dried meat and fish, beading on home tanned leather, and many other skills, so I'll be sure to go and take tons of photos along the way. At the end of the week, I'll be heading south to meet up with my sister who is bringing her 3 ACTIVE boys to visit me here in the north. I'm tickled about the visit as it will be the first time she has come to visit me since I left the rock 10 years ago. I've been to visit her several times, but she has been busy having children and unable to make it to my place...until now.


Stormy may be a problem - he has been quite aggressive with me the little bastard and I am covered in scratches from his teeth. I keep his nails trimmed fairly well, but am considering going back to nail caps again...and filing his damn teeth. I bring it on most of the time, when I am playing with him...he takes it so personally and before I know it, the teeth are out. So...these my three little nephews may find out early on that Stormy does not like to play fair...hopefully without losing an eye...


It's Come Home Year in Grand Bruit this week, starting today and it's the first one I've missed...I hadn't really planned on going, but just knowing there are hoards of people visiting that I haven't seen in years is making me homesick! I am counting on people taking lots of photos so I can at least live vicariously through them. My liver is probably grateful that I didn't make it...

No comments: