Monday, May 21, 2007

Shopping For a New Sleep Mask



While I. and I were out hiking the South Loop in Wood Buffalo Park, we had some visitors at our campsite. Since I am such a creature of habit, I do notice when things are different (most of the time). We got back to our campsite about suppertime, and being experienced campers, left absolutely no food out, but the bears were apparently just nosey. This sleep mask was left in my hammock, with the tarp hanging over the hammock. Either mumma bear or one of her cubs rooted around in my hammock and pulled it out, chewed on it for a bit and then dropped it on the ground. They also had a little nibble on our water container. Note the tooth marks in that too. The park staff came and informed us of the mumma bear and two cubs they spotted in the park earlier in the day while we were out.


I slept in the car that night...two reason - pissing rain with howling wind...and the bear was nosing around in my hammock while empty...what would she do if I was in it and smelled like my supper? I wasn't giving her the opportunity...mumma with cubs would not be reasonable if my large figure popped out from under the tarp if she was sniffling around again in the night.

So today I went shopping online for a new sleep mask...we're already at 20+ hours of daylight and I sleep with it on every night. The longest day is yet to come, and we'll be at about 23 hours of daylight by then I reckon, with no black night.

No comments: