May 24 Long Weekend
The usual trek for me has been camping and this year shall prove no different! Despite K.'s sentiments that it was still "winter" and therefore too cold to go camping, I have traded her in for a hardy camper...one of the teachers here in town had planned on going south to Fort Smith to camp and now I am tagging along with her. And now it's snowing. Perhaps there was something to that "winter camping" comment...
But then I checked the forecast for the Fort Smith area this weekend and it promises to be 16C on both Saturday and Sunday...I can handle that. The nights are to be chilly though, with temps in single digits, close to zero...brrrr...
So...I just have to pack the right gear is all...warm sleeping bag, extra blankets, and my new tent. I hope to be sleeping in the hammock though, and will put my tarp up over it. The good thing is, with colder temps at night, mosquitoes won't be as pesky and go into hiding. I haven't had much issue in the past few years at night with them regardless of location. We shall see...
We are planning on doing some hiking on the salt plains, which I have never seen before so that's cool...and there should be lots of buffalo as we will be within Wood Buffalo Park. I'd best make sure my camera is fully charged because I'm going to put it to work! I wasn't able to find any photos of the salt plains online, but you can bet there will be when I get back...
I am considering taking along my kayak as well, though would prefer to take a canoe...still trying to procure a second hand one yet, and though I have a lead, haven't accomplished it just yet.
Now I have to go get the shovels back out of the shed...KIDDING! There isn't enough to shovel.
No comments:
Post a Comment