In Search of Summer Savoury
Thankgiving weekend is turkey time, and like many easterners, I put summer savoury in my dressing. The dried kind from Mt Scio Farms in Newfoundland. So I went grocery shopping for the last of the ingredients for Sunday's dinner, and savoury was on the list. I searched up and down at Extra Foods, and couldn't find it. So I asked the meat dept guy. What is savoury? he asked...go ask the guy in produce. I find him, and he is an Asian guy. What do you use it for? he asked...go ask the other guy produce. Another Asian guy. What is savoury? he asked..ok, what the hell. So I was a little irritated and gave up. I was off to Wal-Mart, to get some cat litter, since they didn't seem to have any. (I use non-clumping) Wal-mart did not have cat litter either, or summer savoury. Sigh. Co-op was next. One small bag of non-clumping litter, unless I wanted to spend $16.99 for the huge bag...um, no. However, BINGO on the savoury. They had all sizes shown above. One would think it was an exotic herb...at least now I'm set for Sunday dinner with the gals.

2 comments:
When I lived in Fort Rae I frequently made the trip to Co-Op for "essentials". Summer Savory (Mt. Scio of course), Fraser Farm Meatballs, Birch Beer & Pineapple Crush, Gravy Browning, and of course, Sunrise Bologna. Being from the east coast, my little guy only likes Sunrise bologna. They don't stock it out front, you have to go to the meat dept and ask for it. I bought it in full pieces and froze it. I wish we could get it here now!
ah, Fraser Farm Meatballs in the green label cans! Loved them! I had forgotten about birch beer, though never really drank it. I was a fan of Maple Leaf bologna when I used to eat it...I think my mother cured me of liking by feeding me too much...kind of like what happened with KD.
Post a Comment